Friday, September 17, 2010

Auschwitz-Birkenau

I've always been intrigued by the Holocaust.  It boggles my brain that humans can treat fellow humans so horribly.  You hear horror stories of SS officers throwing babies in the air and shooting them.  It just makes me want to puke.

I was always interested in how people survived this terrible event in history.  And also in the stories of those who tried to help by hiding people in attics or basements, etc.  Just like I always loved reading about the underground railroad.  I love rebellion against injustice.

One of my favourite books regarding this particular topic is In my Hands by Irene Gut Opdyke.  Amazing true story; I have read it at least 3 times.

The post is titled Auschwitz-Birkenau because I found out that you can visit this site.  It would be such an eery but profound tour I believe.  One day I would definitely like to see it.  You can check it out here:  http://en.auschwitz.org.pl/m/



No comments:

Post a Comment