Monday, March 7, 2011

distracted student tries to study...

  In Season 7 of Gilmore Girls, Lorelai describes to Rory why she has not been able to complete a character reference letter for Luke...


Lorelai: Because my brain is a wild jungle full of scary gibberish. "I'm writing a letter. I can't write a letter. Why can't I write a letter? I'm wearing a green dress. I wish I was wearing my blue dress. My blue dress is at the cleaners'. 'The Germans wore gray, you wore blue.'Casablanca. Casablanca's such a good movie. Casablanca. The White House. Bush. Why don't I drive a hybrid car? I should really drive a hybrid car. I should really take my bicycle to work. Bicycle, unicycle, unitard, hockey puck, rattlesnake monkey monkey underpants."
Rory: "Hockey puck rattlesnake monkey monkey underpants"?
Lorelai: Exactly! That's what I'm saying. It's a big bag of weird in there. So I think, well, I need inspiration. 


This one always makes me laugh, partly because it's so true (for me anyhow).  Usually when I have a test coming up I can study in a concentrated manner for hours on end.  Then there are the study sessions where my mind wanders all over the place and thinks of every conceivable thing to do or look up that has nothing whatsoever to do with what I am supposed to be focused on (such as studying for my religious studies exam, for example).  

Here is how today went:  I woke up to a full pot of coffee -- is there anything better than that in the morning? -- then I proceeded to have some breakfast.  After breakfast, I had planned on getting right to the textbook, but I noticed that the shower was looking not so squeaky clean so I had to fix that, then I needed to clean the dishes because I hate seeing dirty dishes in the sink.  Ok...then I got around to studying a bit.  But basically every time I tried to get really focused on the material my head thought something like this:  

I really want that couch from Ikea, I should really measure it and see if it would fit but maybe I want the other couch with the footstool instead of the chaise...oooo throw pillows (after succumbing to opening ikea.com)... I could paint a wall red or turquoise or gray or... Hmmm what about a new tv, how much do those cost these days?  {browses Best Buy website} I need to make more money.  I wonder how much I'm going to need in student loans.  I wonder if there are new listings on rent faster.  I wonder if anyone has written in their blogs recently.  I should really get around to that clean laundry piling up and needing folding.  Sod it, get back to studying... Hmmm maybe I should make cookies.  What am I going to have for dinner?  I should really make sure I have some lunches ready for the week.  I wonder when we can go see Unknown (looks at day timer for bazillionth time)...

So that is how my day went for the most part.  I still got some studying done amongst all my procrastination, and I did make cookies and do laundry! 

Now I just need to fall asleep so that I have energy for all the studying that will be done tomorrow...



1 comment:

  1. THAT'S HOW MY DAY IS GOING TODAY!!!

    Me: Ah, monday, it's a new day! It's sunny and beautiful and... oohhh... coffee... drinking coffee in the sunshine. Dropping book on pillow and taking a little tiny nap. Wake up: aughh! Thesis! Must work. Have to prepare site model for class tomorrow. Have to prepare presentation for midterm. *turns on computer*
    Ooh, my cousin is online. *chats*
    I should really upload some new photos to flickr. What if I went through every photo I've taken since January 1 to decide if it should be uploaded or not?
    Speaking of photos:
    I wonder if the price of our replacement camera has gone down.. I wonder if we should get the same camera or find a better/newer one.
    I need lunch. Lunch should be accompanied by reading. Finished one book and must start another. It's time for post-lunch coffee. *stares at computer*. I wonder if there's any news. I should update my blog. *glance at barely begun presentation* I don't feel inspired.
    Switching to Windows platform to work on my site model seems like a waste of time and oh so much energy.
    Coffee is ready. Should take a coffee break and read.
    Laundry. Ugh, I should clean the sheets.
    It's sunny out. I should take advantage of sunny days and go photographing!
    *drinks more coffee*
    Sun is kind of fading, there are clouds coming out. Maybe I should just.... do laundry.
    Laundry means walking down 5 flights of stairs. That is effort.
    *sigh*
    *sips coffee*

    Tomorrow will be a better day. I promise!

    ReplyDelete