Thursday, October 8, 2009

Masquerade!

I've always wanted to go to a real Masquerade ball. Ever since seeing them in movies like "Ever After" and "Man in the Iron Mask"... Also, I discovered Venetian masks one year while on a holiday in Vegas. I must have been about 13 years old. My Dad and I were wandering around the Venetian Hotel (dur) and came across a booth of Venetian masks. I wanted to take them all home with me. They were so beautiful! Too bad we lost almost all of the pictures from that trip. Ever since then, it's been a dream of mine (perhaps even a slight obsession?) to attend a Masquerade. If only I could hop in a time machine, and go back to 13th-16th century Venice and attend a real Masquerade ball when they first started *day dreams*. But alas, I am no inventor.

Feast your eyes upon these beauties! How could you not want to wear one? Heck, I would even love to display them in my home.





Venice still has a Carnival every year. It is held about two weeks before Ash Wednesday and ends on Shrove Tuesday (Mardi Gras), the day before Ash Wednesday. One day, I will go. It looks amazing! Like a dream come true. Check out some of the fantastic costumes from the Carnival of Venice:


*squeal* How amazing would it be to see all of that! Or dress up like that and take a gondola ride and attend a Masquerade ball! Ahhhh....it would be magical.


The closest I will get to that dream anytime soon though will probably be something like Mascherari. Which would still be really cool. And I already have a mask (it's a court jester). I was going to have a Masquerade grad party, but that didn't happen because a couple people were offended. I'll leave that story at
that.


Now I have "Masquerade! Paper faces on parade... Masquerade! Every face a different shade. Masquerade! There's another mask behind you! Flash of mauve... Splash of puce... Fool and King... Ghoul and goose... Green and black... Queen and priest... Trace of rouge... Face of beast..." stuck in my head. (Phantom of the Opera)

No comments:

Post a Comment